This asparagus recipe is a good idea for an easy dinner or a buffet. It mixes the toasted puff pastry taste with asparagus, buffalo mozzarella and a light tomato sauce. An Italian flag with a lot of taste.
Yesterday we had my Godmother and her children for dinner. Our children grew up together and I prepared an easy dinner, like a on table buffet, so I put everything on the table so that we could talk without going inside out the kitchen bringing the next course. I love eating this way and it seems they enjoyed it too ;-).
I prepared different recipes that I’ll be posting soon, and one of these were these asparagus sandwich, My son doesn’t love asparagus and ate it yesterday plus 2 today! Real proof this recipe is tasty and worthy trying ;-).
I prepared a light tomato sauce just putting a thread of olive oil in a pan together with a small can of peeled tomatoes plus parsley, thyme and basil. Cooked for a few minutes and ready to use. You can use another tomato sauce if you wish.
p.s.- As I prepared a lot of things yesterday, there were a couple of sandwiches leftover. I put them in the oven for 15 minutes and …my son ate them all!
- Turn on the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Put the puff pastry on an oven tray covered with parchment paper.
- Brush it with an egg lightly beaten.
- Add sesame seeds.
- Cover it with another sheet of parchment paper and add another tray over the puff pastry to make some weigh and avoid it to grow.
- Bake it for about 30 minutes - until it becomes light brown.
- In the meanwhile:
- Prepare a light tomato sauce with a thread of olive oil, fresh herbs like thyme, basil and parsley with a small can of peeled tomatoes. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut in small pieces the buffalo mozzarella and put it in a colander to lose liquids.
- Wash and clean the asparagus and let them boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cut each asparagus in two lenghtwise.
- Take the puff pastry out of the oven.
- On a large flat surface, using a sharp knife, carefully cut the puff pastry in squares and then each square in 2 triangles (the size of each square/triangle depends on the size of your puff pastry package. Try to use the more and so divide it in equal squares).
- Be careful because it is very fragile.
- Before serving, put half of the triangles face down on the serving plate, add about a Tbsp of tomato sauce, some mozzarella and 2 asparagus (cut lenghtwise and in 2, so 4 pieces).
- Cover with the other triangle and serve.
- Buon appetito!