I can’t remember the first time I prepared these baked eggplant gratin. I just love it and prepare it the whole year as it is a recipe that doesn’t “care” about eggplant seasonality.
I haven’t (yet ;-)) counted the calories, but it is a light recipe because the eggplant is baked in the oven or on a non-adherent pan, with no oil. The most caloric ingredient is the cheese and if you’re not as gluttonous as me (who would eat the whole baking tray by myself), it is a light and tasty recipe that fits many diets.
You can grill the eggplant slices also using a non-adherent pan (as I used to do), but it takes longer. Now I prefer to make it using the oven while I do something else.
It is a recipe that should be considered maybe a side, but I often prepare it as main dish for dinner. I often use smoked scamorza cheese, but when I don’t find it at the market, I use the common cheese and it is good the same ;-).
It is that kind of recipe that I love: simple, with few ingredients and great taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Wash and cut the eggplants in slices.
- Place them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake (turning them upside down once during baking) until they're soft.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in slices.
- Cut the cheese in thin slices.
- Add one slice of tomato on each eggplant slice and add salt.
- Cover with cheese and add oregano.
- Spray extra virgin olive oil and bake until the cheese melts (about 20/25min).
- Buon appetito!