I called this broccoli and cheese a comforting recipe because it matches perfectly with the cool weather that is arriving.
Well, we had such a hot and traditional Summer this year (even too hot), and it seems that the seasons are regular since now…what didn’t happen for so many years. As I love Autumn, I am appreciating this light cold that begins to arrive and it recalls hot dishes, gratin aromas that easily spread around the house as doors and windows are closed.
In Brazil there’s not so much difference between seasons as here in Italy. I love it. I like the different things we do in the different seasons. The different habits and…the different dishes!
We’ve just had a Summer plenty of tomatoes, zucchini and eggplants. Now it is time to turn into soups and hotter recipes. It is true that broccoli is so healthy and can be found all over the year, but it is also true that it is much more inviting during cold season. This broccoli and cheese recipe is very easy to prepare and fits this period. I prepared it the other day and my husband said: “Yes, keep this recipe! Do it again!”
Broccoli and cheese are a tasty match. In this recipe, that I found on the Italian blog Forno e Fornelli, they are enriched with a simple bechamel sauce that only increases its delicacy.
- Wash and clean the broccoli, cutting the florets that you will use.
- Boil them in salted water for 5 minutes (they should cook but not overcook as they are going to go into the oven too).
- In a non-adherent pan add a thread of extra virgin olive oil and lightly cook the minced garlic, paying attention to avoid burning it.
- Drain the broccoli florets and add the to the garlic and mixing well, let them cook for some minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the gas.
- Turn on the oven to 400°F/200°F.
- In a small pan add milk, 1 Tsp of oil and flour and turn on low/medium gas. Prepare a light bechamel stirring until it becomes dense. Turn off the gas. Add salt and grated nutmeg.
- Take a baking pan and spread some bechamel on it. Add broccoli florets and cover it with the remaining bechamel and cheese.
- Bake until the cheese melts and a golden crust is formed (20 to 30 minutes).
- Buon appetito!