This chicken recipe was the school “report card” dish for my children for many years. They love it and when they were teens it was their favorite dish. So, each time we had to commemorate something like good report cards (they had always great ones), this was the lunch menu, together with white rice.
You can prepare it with leftover chicken, or buy a roasted chicken to make it quicker, as I always do (otherwise you should add the time for roasting the chicken).
I use the puff pastry I buy at the supermarket as I haven’t yet tried to prepare it myself (also because these ones are soooo good). I like to add a slice of raw ham (country ham or Parma raw ham), but it is not mandatory.
You just have to cut the chicken in small pieces, mix with cream, add white pepper, a bit of nutmeg and salt. Open the puff pastry and cut it in squares and put some chicken inside. Create a kind of basket unifying the angles and, after brushing each one with a beaten egg, bake for about 30 minutes. Easy, isn’t it? I have added a step by step below. Enjoy :-)!
Cut the chicken in small pieces;
Add cream, nutmeg, white pepper and salt and mix until well combined;
Cut the puff pastry in squares;
Put some chicken in the middle of each square;
Close each one putting together the four angles forming kind of basket;
Brush each one with a beaten egg and bake for about 30 minutes or until colored and done.
- 2 packages of puff pastry
- 1 roasted chicken
- 200ml of cream
- grated nutmeg
- grated white pepper
- 1 egg for brushing
- 12 slices of raw ham (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Take the chicken and eliminate all bones and cut the meat in small pieces.
- Add cream, a pinch of grated nutmeg, white pepper and salt.
- Mix it all until well combined.
- Open the puff pastry. (you should repeat the following steps if using two packs of puff pastry)
- Cut each in 6 squares.
- (If you add the ham, put a slice on each square.)
- Put some chicken in the middle of each square.
- Close each piece forming kind of a basket.
- Brush each one with a beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until colored and done.
- Buon appetito!