My sister prepared this club sandwich recipe for my birthday’s picnic. As she cut it in 4 smaller pieces, I didn’t calculate how many I’ve eaten :-).
She told me it is the most known sandwich around the world (I didn’t know that!) and you can probably find it in any hotel worldwide.
I prepared them again for Ferragosto, the Italian Summer holiday (15th August) and, again, there were no leftovers.
I repeated her recipe that is a little bit different as it doesn’t include chicken, but ham. As I am not a mayonnaise lover (for its calories), I used the low fat type, but it doesn’t change the final result.
I used 5 cereal sandwich loaf slices instead of white bread – but these are details you can change without changing the core result. The ingredients are very simple and common, and its great taste is due to their combination.
To prepare this club sandwich recipe you’ll need: sandwich loaf slices, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise, bacon, cheese and ham. I could bet you have it all in your fridge!
- 12 sandwich loaf slices
- 4 eggs
- 100 g/8 slices of bacon
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp of mayonnaise
- 12 slices of cheese
- 16 slices of ham
- Put the bacon on a non-adherent pan and turn on the gas.
- Let it melt and then put it on kitchen absorbent paper.
- Boil the eggs for 5 minutes, cold and peel them.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of 8 bread slices and on both sides of the remaining 4 slices.
- Place the 4 (of the 8) slices on a surface and add ham and cheese.
- Add the slices where you spread mayonnaise on both sides.
- On this second part of the sandwich add lettuce, tomato slices, the bacon and boiled egg cut in halves or quarters.
- Add the last slice and make a little pressure to keep it together.
- Cut it into 4 pieces, making an "X" using a sharp knife.
- Add a toothpick to each piece to keep it together easily.
- Buon appetito!