I was curious about spanakopita since the first time I saw it on a blog, it happened some time ago. I was always postponing this recipe because it seemed something different, that needed more attention and I was waiting for the right moment.
Then I saw Alexandra’s Kitchen spanakopita recipe and it became more urgent. And I prepared them. Three times in ten days.
Needless to say we loved it. And to say it is super easy to prepare.
I’ve been preparing more recipes with feta cheese, and the more I prepare, the more versatile it seems to me. This Greek cheese has a strong taste, but it matches perfectly many other ingredients, without dominating and contributing for a whole (wonderful) taste. Have you already tried the Greek cheese tart?
I have seen different recipes of spanakopita, but I like the idea of making small individual portions. I have added some photos of how to fold the phyllo pastry, but I assure you it is incredibly easy to do. And I also assure you it is tasty and pleased anyone I offered it. It is good at room temperature and it is a perfect idea for a dinner or to serve on a buffet.
- 120 g phyllo pastry
- 140 g of fresh spinach
- 115 g cottage cheese
- 170 g feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- butter (about 3 Tbsp)
- Turn on the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Put the spinach into the mixer's bowl and pulse until it is well cut.
- Melt the butter.
- Transfer it to a bigger bowl and add the cottage cheese, the eggs and the feta (scrumbled with your hands).
- Cut the phyllo sheets in 4 equal pieces. Each package of 120 g makes 8 rolls (with 2 sheets each).
- Take one piece, brush some melted butter and add a second sheet, butter the second sheet too.
- Add a Tbsp of spinach mixture a couple of inches (5 cm) from the pastry bottom and then fold the bottom side and then the left and right sides (see photo above). Roll it on itself forming a strudel. Put on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and then brush all rolls with butter.
- Bake in pre heated oven until they become golden.
- Buon appetito!