I love this spinach and feta pie. I have prepared it many times and I never get tired of it. It is good as soon as it’s done, it’s good at room temperature, it’s good cold from the fridge after a day or two…
I know it as a Jamie Oliver recipe, and I changed only little things. I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil instead of butter, when possible. As feta is pretty tasty, I used less than him.
It is pretty simple to prepare and requires no expertise in cooking. This spinach and feta pie is also beautiful to serve at the table, as the thin crisps of the philo pastry are wonderful to see and inviting to eat.
I like feta cheese very much. I use it in many “dear” recipes and lately I try to have it always in my fridge (as we often do with sugar, flour and milk at home). Just to name some, with feta you can prepare the spinach cake, the cheese focaccia, the savory snacks, the spanakopitas…
And I use spinach also very often, as to prepare the sunny spinach pie and some of the above recipes. Spinach and feta match so well together.
Well, today is Monday and I felt like posting a comforting recipe as this one for you, to begin well a new week ;-).
- 800 g /28oz spinach
- 200 g/ 9oz feta cheese
- 1 spring onion (if you don't have it at home, use 2 scallions)
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 6 phillo pastry sheets (check how many are in the package)
- extra virgin olive oil (used with spray)
- Wash and clean the spinach and boil them until soften.
- Let them cool enough to be able to squeeze them well with your hands.
- Turn on the oven to 356°F/180°C.
- Chop the squeezed spinach.
- Chop the onions.
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- In a bowl put the squeezed and chopped spinach, the onions, eggs and crumbled feta (just crumble it using your fingers).
- Grease a 30cm pan (I use a spring pan) and lay a first sheet of phillo pastry, leaving the exceeding part falling outside the pan (you will use it to cover the pie when finished stuffing it).
- Spray abbundantly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Repeat for the other sheets.
- Pour the spinach filling and level it.
- Beginning with the inner sheet of phillo pastry, cover the spinach filling with the sheets.
- Spray more extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake it for about 30 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Buon appetito!