I wasn’t thinking about preparing a spinach pie yesterday. I wasn’t even looking for a spinach pie recipe because I have my favorite one (even if now it will divide the podium with this one :-)), but when I saw it on an Italian blog Zenzero e Limone, I immediately fell in love with it. There are some recipes that I just feel like preparing quite immediately ;-).
I found it pretty easy to prepare, even more considering how beautiful it is. I photographed the preparation, step by step, so that you can prepare it too.
It is not only beautiful, but very tasty too. It can be prepared in advance and will be a success among your family and friends.
Divide the dough in two equal parts. Roll each part forming a circle of about 30cm/11in. Distribute the stuffing as seen on the photo below.
Spread a thin layer of breadcrumbs.
A Sunny Spinach Pie Recipe
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 min
for the dough:
3 1/2 cup/500 g of flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp/90 ml of extra virgin olive oil
7/8 cup/200 ml of warm dry white wine
2 tsp of salt
for the stuffing:
3 + 2/3 cups/350 gr of boiled spinach
1 + 1/3 (abundant)/350 gr of ricotta cheese
100 g of grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana cheese
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough and work the dough until it becomes uniform (using a mixer or not).
2. Cover it with plastic wrap while preparing the stuffing.
3. Boil the spinach and squeeze it to eliminate the water.
4. Cut it with a sharp knife to facilitate.
5. Mix it with the ricotta cheese.
6. Add the egg.
7. Add the grated cheese, salt and pepper.
8. Amalgamate all ingredients.
9. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
10. Divide the dough in two.
11. Create 2 circles of 30cm/11.8in each using a rolling pin.
12. Place the 1st dough circle on baking paper.
13. Spread some breadcrumbs on it.
14. Place part of the stuffing in the center of the circle and the remaining creating another circle around, as seen on the photos.
15. Cover it with the 2nd circle of dough.
16. Wet the borders and attach one to another using a fork.
17. Place a small bowl over the central stuffing and punch with a fork all around.
18. Using a sharp knife cut the borders in 3cm/1.2in slices.
19. Turn them upside 90°.
20. Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven at 180°C/356°F.
21. Buon appetito!