I saw this strawberry cake recipe on a site and one hour after I was already preparing it.
Yes, I admit, I am strongly attracted by beautiful food. When I see a beautiful food photograph, if it is not too heavy (calories and/or fat and sugar quantities) or complicated, it goes straight to my to-do list.
This cake is not too sweet and so it is perfect for breakfast…and I also eat it as a middle-morning snack. The strawberries keep their freshness and taste and being well divided into the dough, there’s quite no bites without a piece of strawberry inside.
I made a change regarding the original recipe I found in Ricette & Co. blog: I didn’t use the homemade limoncello, but just lemon juice. I did it for two reasons: I wanted it to be less sweet and I believe there’s a few of you out there who has homemade limoncello at home.
- 300 g of flour
- 100 g of sugar
- 250 g of low fat yogurt
- 200 g of strawberries
- 1 Tbsp of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp of lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- icing sugar
- Turn on the oven to 356°F/180°C.
- Wet a piece of parchment paper, squeeze it and cover a plumcake pan with it.
- Wash the strawberries, eliminating the leaves and cutting them in halves.
- Pass the strawberries on the flour to avoid them going to the bottom of the pan during baking.
- Beat the eggs together with the sugar until they become a foamy cream.
- Add the lemon zest, the lemon juice, yogurt and mix it all with a spoon.
- Add the flour together with the baking powder and mix carefully.
- Pour half of the mixture into the pan, add half of the strawberries and then the rest of the mixture.
- Add the remaining strawberries pressing them a little to make them adhere to the mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it rest before taking it out (together with the parchment paper) from the pan.
- Let it cool on a rack.
- Add some icing sugar on top and...
- Buon appetito!
1 thought on “An Inviting Strawberry Cake For A Sweet Breakfast”
Brava, Ana! Can’t wait to make this. I have homemade limoncello !! Can’t live without it.