A cheese lollipop! What an idea! I use to use Parmesan for chips to eat with a salad, and even prepared small baskets with it to serve the salad, but a cheese lollipop is …sooo cute!
My friend Emanuela showed me this recipe on an Italian site, Cucchiaio.it, and I prepared it the day after so curious I was to see them “live”! And what a surprise! They are pretty simple to prepare and I found immediately the right quantity of cheese to use with my cookie cutter (2,5in).
As my friend said, you can also create other shapes, but I decided to try them first with a common round, classical, lollipop shape ;-).
I prepared the cheese lollipops with sesame and with poppy seeds. You can use just Parmesan or other seeds as well. Important is not to use “bigger” seeds (such as sunflower seeds) that are heavier and could not result in a light lollipop you can place in a jar and also decorate your table as well.
I am posting also step by step photos down here. I used a teaspoon and it is the perfect quantity for this size of cutter.
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Put 2 Tbsp of grated cheese in a small bowl, so as for the rest. You'll make 4 lollipops with 2 Tbsp of grated Parmesan.
- Mix 1 tsp of sesame with 2 Tbsp of cheese, then 1 tsp of poppy seed with the other 2 Tbsp, and let the other 2 Tbsp with no seeds.
- Cover a baking tray with parchmet paper and spray it with oil or grease it (it helps dettaching the lollipops after).
- Create the shapes using a cookie cutter (2.5in). Use 1 tsp of cheese for each and distribute it equally with your fingers.
- Place the stick and then add a bit of cheese to cover the stick and help it adhere better.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until they become golden and let them cool down before touching them.
- Buon appetito!