Onion French tart
- Put flour, salt and sugar into your food processor and pulse to mix them together.
- Add butter cut in small cubes and pulse a few seconds until the mixture is crumbled.
- While pulsing add water and pulse a couple of times more until the dough becomes one.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface (or even a big bowl9 and form a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven 200°C/400°F.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface forming a rectangle of about 10 x 14 in. Use a pizza cutter to trim the edges.
- Cover an oven flat pan with parchment paper and set the dough there. Put into the fridge while you prepare the onions.
- Peel the onions and cut them in half lengthwise. Take each half and put it on a cutter with the cut part facing down. Cut the half onion in thin slices keeping them entire.
- Take the dough and spread the cheese all over it, including the borders.
- Spread thyme and chives.
- Place the onion slices, lightly overlapping them, creating a diagonal design.
- Brush them with cream, spread some butter chunks here and there and salt.
- Bake for 40 min or until it is golden. Cover the borders with foil if they should become too brown (I never did that).
- Let it cool a bit before cutting it in squares or slices.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.