This is my favorite tomato soup recipe. Easy to prepare, with a few and easy ingredients and low in calories without losing taste.
You can prepare it using only fresh tomatoes or using a can of peeled ones. Last week I used only fresh tomatoes as I had them at home, today I used fresh cherry ones plus a can of peeled ones. It comes out good the same.
What I like most of this recipe is the healthy sensation I have while eating it. It is savory even if contains only vegetables (no pasta or rice or cream). You can add more or less extra virgin olive oil to your taste. I use a thread at the beginning plus another thread when serving, so it is really little fat (good fat, in this case).
I believe it’s perfect for these fresh September days, as it has some Summer inside because of the tomatoes, but also looks like a little Autumn being a soup.
Tip: use a food mill and not a blender to prepare this soup, as a blender adds too much air into it changing its color.
- 500 g of cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 medium onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- basil (leaves and stalk)
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes (small can) or 6 fresh tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp of tomato puree
- 300 ml of broth (even cube)
- Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes.
- Put them on an oven tray and sprinkle minced garlic, thyme, salt and a thread of olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes to 30 minutes at 200°C/400°F.
- In the meanwhile put a thread of extra virgin olive oil in a pan.
- Turn on the gas and add the onion roughly chopped.
- Wash and cut the celery and leek and add to the pan.
- Cook for a few minutes without letting them color.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, the tomato puree and the peeled (or fresh) tomatoes, the basil stalks (let the leaves apart) and the broth.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for 20 to 30 minutes in low gas.
- Take it out of the gas and pass it though a food mill.
- Take it back to the gas (low), add salt, pepper and half of the basil leaves and let it warm again for a few minutes.
- Serve with a thread of extra virgin olive oil and the remaining fresh basil leaves.
- Buon appetito!