This zucchini pizza crust is a a good alternative to the low carb pizza crust I posted some months ago. I think it is a good way to eat vegetables while eating pizza and…eating pizza while eating vegetables ;-).
It is a great idea for dinner, a comfort food with little flour on the recipe, that will satisfy you and your family without being a heavy dish, but with each slice having less than 200 calories.
I love pizza and I don’t think about changing its dough, but I admit I love these vegetables alternatives. We can’t eat that much of pasta and flour, and this zucchini pizza crust gives you satifaction, a lot of taste while being lighter than a traditional pizza.
You can vary the ingredients of the topping to your taste. I followed the recipe I found on Taste of Home but didn’t add peppers just because I hadn’t them at home. It’s a recipe you can probably prepare with what you already have in the fridge. I used cherry tomatoes (the ones I had at home!), onions, a lot of oregano and some basil leaves. Maybe it’s just because I love onions, but the aroma this zucchini pizza crust spread while cooking was something difficult to resist and…I ate a piece before dinner, I couldn’t help!
This pizza reminds me the Brazilian ones, that usually have abundant toppings (a lot of basil leaves, a lot of onions…).
- Preheat the oven to 450°F/230°C.
- In a large bowl put the zucchini, eggs, flour and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Grease a 12 inches/30cm round pizza pan and spread the zucchini mixture inside.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F/180°C.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella, tomatoes cut in slices, origano, basil and the grated Parmesan cheese over the zucchini crust,
- Bake for 15/20 minutes more, or until the mozzarella melts and becomes a little bit colored.
- Buon appetito!