I was curious about this zucchini rolls. After trying (and preparing it many times) the fake eggplant parmesan, I became a lover of the “fresh” seasoned breadcrumbs. As these zucchini are prepared with them, I had to give them a try.
I prepared these zucchini rolls yesterday for lunch, having in mind to have them ready also for dinner (I just love to have a meal already prepared). Well, I admit, one more time, that I had to control myself otherwise I would have eaten all of them at lunch.
It is not fried and have some extra virgin olive oil (not much). Except for the bread and grated Parmesan (really little quantity to value calories), we can say it is a guilty-free recipe.
I didn’t add raisins as suggested on the recipe (found on Sale & Pepe Italian food magazine site) because I don’t like them that much in salted dishes, but please do not forget the toasted pine nuts as you “feel” them when you eat the rolls.
What else to say? That I loved them ;-).
- 4 medium zucchini
- 5 slices of loaf bread (better if whole wheat)
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 to 6 sage leaves
- a couple of Tbsp of pine nuts
- extra virgin olive oil (about ¼ cup or less)
- Put a large pan with water to boil (it has to be big enough to contain the sliced zucchini).
- Wash the zucchini and slice them lenghtwise using a mandoline.
- When the water boils, add salt and the sliced zucchini. Let them boil for a couple of minutes - they just have to be soft enough to be rolled. Do not overcook them. Strain them on a colander.
- Turn on the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Put the bread, cheese, sage, salt and pepper into your food processor and turn it on until it all becomes well mixed breadcrumbs.
- Toast the pine nuts on a non adherent pan (pay attention as they burn quickly).
- Take each slice of zucchini and brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil.
- Pass each one onto the breadcrumbs on both sides and them enroll each one on itself adding 3 or 4 toasted pine nuts inside. Hold it with a toothpick.
- Put them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake until colored.
- Buon appetito!
2 thoughts on “Zucchini Rolls – You Just Can’t Eat Only One!”
These look amazing! I have to have a go on the weekend!
Try them Kathleen, I am sure you’ll love them as much as I do 😉